Weaning your baby and meeting your responsibility at work is a very tedious task that may require the use of the best breast pump for working moms.
It’s high time to resume work, after giving birth to your beautiful baby, but you are concern about how to continue feeding your newborn baby with the right quantity of breast milk to keep your baby healthy and active, the best solution to this challenge is usually breast pump.
- 1 What is the best breast pump for working moms?
- 2 Top Breast Pumps for Working Moms
- 3 7. Hands-Free Breast Pump Bra for Busy Moms
- 4 6. Best Manual Breast Pump for Working Moms
- 5 5. Best Double Electric Breast Pump for Working Moms
- 6 4. Best Single Electric Breast Pump for Working Moms
- 7 3. Best Portable Breast Pump for Working Moms
- 8 2. Best Hands-Free Breast Pump for Working Moms
- 9 1. Best Wearable Breast Pump for Working Moms
- 10 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- 10.1 1. Which may be a better breast pump, manual breast, or electric?
- 10.2 2. What is the most comfortable breast pump?
- 10.3 3. How often should I pump?
- 10.4 4. Is there any side effect of a breast pump?
- 10.5 5. How long does a breast pump last?
- 10.6 6. Is it OK to just pump and not breastfeed?
- 10.7 7. Can pumping cause cancer?
- 10.8 8. Do you still lose weight if you pump breast milk?
- 10.9 9. Does pumping burn as many calories as breastfeeding?
- 11 Breast Pump Safety
- 12 CONCLUSION
Breastfeeding just got a lot easier without the need to expose yourself in public while feeding your baby with the various types of breast pumps available. With the variety of breast pumps we have available in the market, you don’t have to worry about not feeding your babe with the right quantity of breast milk before the due date.
You are free to spend time at work with the availability of these breast pumps without having to worry much about your baby.
You can always make your breast milk readily available by storing it in the fridge or refrigerator, or perhaps in case of emergency can as well send the pumped breast milk to your baby in case of shortage.
What is the best breast pump for working moms?
So many moms have been faced with the dilemma of answering the question of which breast pump is the best for working moms.
They aggressively look around for which breast pump will suit them best. Some are not as lucky as me in finding what they really want. I had to source for professional advice at first because combining breastfeeding and working from 8 am to 5 pm was taking a serious toll on me.
My expert friend advised me that the following are the yardsticks to follow to arrive at the best breast pump for working moms like me.
- It’s imperative to ensure that the parts of a pump that will come into contact with the milk or with your baby are free of BPA. BPA is a compound sometimes used in the production of plastics and can be potentially harmful to your child.
- A let-down mechanism is one of the important settings to look out for in an electric breast pump. This is a setting that may help stimulate the breasts when you first begin pumping so that natural milk flow is achieved.
- The nature of the breast pump should be greatly considered. It is advised that working moms should opt for closed pumps because every drop of the pumped breast milk is very precious.
- The power mode of the breast pump for working moms must be such that it is flexible and not powered by only electricity. This allows moms to be able to pump anywhere anytime without stress.
- These pumps are also very portable and are easily carried around.
- They must also be as silent as possible for discreetness in the office during breast pumping sessions.
- The important thing is that the breast pump for working moms must be easy to use, adjustable, and efficient.
- You should be able to pump breast milk comfortably and without any pain.
- A bit of fine-tuning may be necessary to get the milk flowing smoothly.
- Working mothers who want their babies to enjoy all the benefits of breast milk will typically own a pump with a strong suction power and pumping mechanism.
These pumps are fortified with a lot of features that assist moms to adequately pump enough milk within the shortest time possible.
Choosing the right breast pump can become a daunting task because of the varieties of pumps we have in the market today.
Aside from the ranges, we have, choosing the pump that suits you is also critical, in terms of breast size, power source, portability, price, and other essential features to be considered.
Top Breast Pumps for Working Moms
Electric pumps are the best breast pump for working moms and moms that are on the go. These pumps are designed to be used several times a day. Also, these pumps need to be hospital-grade performance or close system.
Aside from allowing you to pump and store milk in a relatively short amount of time, a lot of these pumps are also portable so that you can take them with you to pump and store breast milk during working hours. Some of the breast pumps on our picks are listed below:
8. Single Manual Breast Pump for Working Moms
Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
Recommended by doctors, Medela breast pumps are the foremost recommended breast pump product within the U.S. by physicians.
The Medela Harmony manual breast pump has been designed for infrequent use to cater to those times you are far away from your baby. This breast pump is meant for working moms who wish to breastfeed and still work conveniently.
The small, portable, and light-weight design makes it easy to move around with it discreetly. It’s been designed to deliver easy, and convenient breast pumping sessions at work or anytime you travel around. It includes a soft-touch, ergonomic swivel handle that makes it easier to handle.
This manual breast pump is infused with a rare patented 2-Phase Expression Technology that massages your breast and stimulates maximum milk let-down in you.
This breast pump has single vacuum adjustments that are included for comfortable pumping sessions. Each part that touches your breast milk is made with non BPA materials – which are far safer for your baby.
This breast pump is capable of total milk expression for both breasts within the space of 15-20 minutes; it means you can be more productive at work as a breastfeeding mom.
You control the speed and, therefore, the force of the pump, and it seems to be a far better fit for your nipple and areola. It’s an ideal substitution for breastfeeding moms who weren’t getting results with electric pumps. It could be paused to allow you to walk around when you are tired of pumping.
- Very portable and straightforward to hold around
- It expresses milk faster and more efficient than your regular manual breast pump
- It doesn’t inflict injuries on you while expressing milk.
- It is very safe for milk expression.
- The suction power isn’t too strong
- The replacement of worn-out parts may be a bit expensive.
7. Hands-Free Breast Pump Bra for Busy Moms
Pacasso Hands-free Nursing and Pumping Bra
The breathable material makes it an honest choice for sleeping or lounging. Its two sizes fit all. This bra is meant both for pregnant and nursing moms with many sizes, just like the pumping bra plus size. A totally adjustable back panel design is remarkably comfortable to suit your changing shapes.
The nursing bra has an’ X’ structure designed to carry bottles and shields in situ securely and comfortably. It’s usable at any time, anywhere you wish, designed especially for working moms. You simply got to wear it under your clothes and continue your duties at work.
It can be used by nursing moms as well as a magic pumping bra. It has a front zipper design, which is straightforward to wear and pull off, so you don’t need to wear it from the rear buckle.
It works great for multitasking mothers. The universally designed B clip on it enables this breastfeeding accessory to fit beautifully with all pumps such as Spectra, Ameda, Medela pump as well as breastfeeding bras, camisoles or tops. It’s durable and may be used quite thousands of times.
This bra is meant both for pregnant and nursing moms. A totally adjustable back panel design makes it remarkably comfortable to suit your changing shapes.
- Works adequately for hands-free pumping
- Made from a soft cotton material making it very comfortable on your body
- Adjustable to form it fit all moms’ size.
- Holes/slits to insert the pump flanges are spaced out a touch too far
- The clips keep slipping and making the straps lose again.
6. Best Manual Breast Pump for Working Moms
Philips Avent Manual Breast Pump
The Philips Avent manual breast pump is great for working moms like you. You only need to Sit comfortably and allow the pump to give you a soft massage cushion gently in order to stimulate easy milk flow.
It is light-weight and has a compact design for busy moms. Easy to clean and assemble. This breast pump was designed with your comfort in mind. The massage cushions’ soft and velvety textures feel moist and comfortable against your skin, which may help to promote the flow of milk.
The massaging petals are meant to imitate the suckling motion of your infant, which will help to boost your milk let-down.
The light-weight and compact design offer you the prospect to simply express your milk on the move to perfectly suit your tight schedule. This breast pump has only a couple of parts, which are intuitive to assemble, and straightforward to wash.
You will even wash the parts using a dishwasher without damaging the accessories. The wide, breast-shaped nipple makes it easy to mix breast and bottle feeding.
The flanges have a nipple shape and feel which mimic the breastfeeding pattern of your baby. Transitioning from breastfeeding to bottle becomes a very easy task.
The Philips Avent breast pump is sort of efficient and fast in milk expression to cater to the stress of all working moms for an adequate amount of breast milk for his or her babies.
- It is very efficient and fast in milk expression.
- It feels very comfortable to use by working moms.
- The milk is expressed with fun while during a relaxed mood.
- The pump is often easily dismantled and cleaned.
- Its kits and accessories can easily get replaced.
- Replacement of damaged part cost extra money
- The suction power isn’t quite strong and gets weakened with time.
5. Best Double Electric Breast Pump for Working Moms
Spectra Baby USA S1Plus with Gray Tote and Cooler
The Spectra S2 Plus Premier Electric Breast Pump is intended to add calming confidence to every moment of your breastfeeding journey. For the smoothest and most relaxed pumping sessions, the S2 is a quiet and discrete breast pump.
The added night light allows you to easily pump at any hour of the day. The pump conveniently weighs only 2.9 lbs. With a maximum suction strength of 250 mmHg and the ability to be used as a double pump, The Spectra Baby USA-S2 will be a great asset to all working moms. These breast pumps are completely flexible and work with a mere touch of buttons.
This pump also has a timer for monitoring the time taken to maximally express your milk. You don’t just have to pump your breast milk endlessly. Your breasts require great massage to emulate the natural suckling of your baby.
This pump has the quietest motor available and a perfect closed system to prevent the contamination of your baby’s milk. As a working mom, a grey tote bag is included in its pack for discreet transportation of your pump and a pink cooler to keep your milk at just the right temperature.
- It is very efficient in milk expression always
- This pump is very quiet when used; allowing your privacy and flexibility
- In the absence of an electric source, it can operate with built-in rechargeable batteries.
- It massages your breast until the final milk is let down.
- It is compact and portable for ease of moving the pump around.
- The included bottles are easily damaged
- The pump hardly works with kits and accessories of other pumps.
- The batteries lose their power with constant usage.
4. Best Single Electric Breast Pump for Working Moms
Elvie Pump Single Silent Wearable Breast Pump
If a single and silent wearable breast pump is your quest as a single mother, the Elvie breast pump is all you need. Its efficiency and the fast rate of milk expression make it the favorite of most moms, especially the working type.
The Elvie Pump Single Silent Wearable Breast Pump has a revolutionary technology that eliminates noise so that you can pump in peace; anytime, anywhere. It is worn inside a standard nursing bra, making it truly hands-free. Nothing to tie you down or make you slow down.
The ease of assembling and cleaning gives you perfect control over your breast pumping gadget. The makers of this pump understand that breast pumping could be made more interesting by using the free Elvie Pump app to monitor milk volume in real-time, track the history of pumping for each breast, and remotely monitor the pump.
The Elvie breast pump automatically switches from Stimulation into Expression mode when it detects let-down and will pause when the bottle is full; this is another feature that distinguishes this pump from others in the market.
It could be powered by both electricity and batteries for flexibility and freedom’s sake. You no longer need to move around with wires and chargers.
- It is very efficient and fast in milk expression
- It is small and light-weight for easy movement around
- It is highly flexible to use with very strong batteries that last long
- They are very simple wearable pumps.
- The pump works with a touch of buttons.
- The suction power is not as strong as other pumps
- Replacing its damaged kits and accessories costs additional money.
3. Best Portable Breast Pump for Working Moms
Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump
With its small and amazingly light-weight, I could stick it inside my purse while leaving for work, and no one will ever notice it.
The light, compact nature, and USB rechargeable battery of the pump give you the flexibility to express yourself wherever and whenever you want, without any compromise on performance.
The Medela’s Freestyle Flex Breast Pump is a double electric daily use pump designed for working moms who need to pump several times per day.
It surprisingly weighs less than 1 pound, you can simply slip it in your purse or baby bag, and you are ready to get on with your busy day. Like all Medela breast pumps, Freestyle Flex has 2-Phase Expression Technology to help working moms produce more milk in less time.
You no longer need to waste time pumping less amount of milk for your baby. The free MyMedela app helps moms to easily monitor and record pumping sessions via a sleek touch screen display.
Breast milk pumping requires only a touch of buttons. Freestyle Flex also comes with PersonalFit Flex Breast Shields to promote increased milk flow and provide more comfort while pumping.
- It works in silence and does not attract any third party to you.
- It can be controlled and operated remotely with the help of the free MyMedela app.
- It is very fast and efficient in milk expression.
- It is highly flexible because it can be powered by both electricity and battery that lasts long.
- The suction power is not as strong as other pumps
- It is a bit too expensive for mid-class moms
2. Best Hands-Free Breast Pump for Working Moms
Freemie Liberty Mobile Hands-Free Breast Pump
This pump features the patented freemie hands-free and concealable collection cups that fit under your clothing right inside your standard nursing bra, so you can pump where you need to.
The attachment kit for the Freemie liberty pump provides single or double pumping connections, so you can easily get through your pumping routine by double pumping, or single pump and nurse your little one at the same time, a very powerful time-saving breast pump.
The pump is electrically powered. The two cups are capable of holding a maximum of 16 ounces of milk at once. Included spare parts in the pump Set is an extra filter that requires regular changing, and an extra duckbill valve (valves should be replaced if the deterioration in suction occurs over time).
Additionally, the single pump tubing can be used by a few customers as replacement tubing for the double pump setup. Another plus to this magnificent piece of breast pump is that its kits and accessories are favorably compatible with the other breast pumps.
Your money is never lost nor wasted. The cups are suitable to be worn under any piece of cloth without causing any discomfort whatsoever. Working and breast pumping is made to be suitably compatible.
- It is fantastically portable and comfortable to use
- It is highly efficient and fast in milk expression
- Its accessories and kits are easily replaceable.
- It makes breast pumping to be personal, discreet, and exciting.
- The suction power gets weak with constant use over time
- Replacing its damaged kits and accessories costs additional money.
1. Best Wearable Breast Pump for Working Moms
Elvie Pump Double Silent Wearable Breast Pump
You don’t need to be hooked to a single position, with your Elvie breast pump; you can walk around, lead a meeting and take a walk around while you pump your breast milk.
I was wowed by the evolutionary technology of this pump, which completely eliminates all forms of noise so that you can pump in peace (anytime, anywhere).
All you do is just wear the Elvie Pump inside a standard nursing bra, and it works totally hands-free. Setting up and cleaning the pump is quite simple and easy, with only five parts to clean. It is cordless and hassle-free.
When I discovered the ability to connect the pump to a free Elvie pump app to monitor milk volume in real-time, track pumping history for each breast and control the pump remotely, it became my favorite.
I simply leave it on, and the pump switches from Stimulation to Expression mode automatically when it senses let-down and pauses when the bottle is full. I can now work and pump my breast milk for my baby and still perform excellently well in my office.
- It is highly portable and gives you the freedom to do other chores while pumping.
- It is powered by both electricity and batteries for flexibility of use
- It is remotely connected and controlled by a special app on your smartphone
- It is highly efficient and fast for breast milk pumping.
- Getting it to work to maximum effectiveness requires careful study of the manual.
- It is quite expensive for most moms.
- Getting compatible accessories and kits to work with it is quite difficult.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. Which may be a better breast pump, manual breast, or electric?
Choosing between a manual and an electrical breast pump depends on the one that goes to use it. Considering the value, manual pumps are quite cheap.
However, you ought to also confine mind that while an electrical breast pump may be a bit costlier, the experience it offers you is worth every penny you buy it. Manual pumps are tons more portable and do not need electricity to work.
Electric pumps are bulkier in design and are rather loud. Electric pumps are more efficient because they permit moms to precise milk on both breasts simultaneously for almost fifteen minutes.
You will get to perform quick pumping motions together with your hand when employing a manual pump, which may be very tiring. Additionally, it takes about ten minutes to express milk from a single breast, which means it consumes time.
2. What is the most comfortable breast pump?
The most comfortable breast pumps have a powerful but soft massaging pumping mechanism, which is found in most electric pumps.
All-electric breast pumps operate the same way, and they express breast milk much faster than the manual pumps. You can adjust the suction speed to what feels most comfortable.
A double electric breast pump allows you to express breast milk on both breasts at the same time and can be used on a single side if need be.
Some versions are relatively light-weight and are easy to use. If you would like to buy your breast pump while you are pregnant, and you are not sure of how to use it, it is a good idea to pick a mid-range breast pump such as Medela Swing or Medela Mini Electric which suits all types of uses.
3. How often should I pump?
Some babies eat much in their infancy, and they tend to cry a lot when they don’t get the needed amount of breast milk from their moms.
Some moms find it difficult to naturally meet up with demand from their baby, and as such, they result in the use of breast pumps. The question of how many times to pump depends on the time available to the mom. A working mom will have limited time to express enough breast milk to feed their baby.
Such will only have the opportunity to pump their breast by morning and evening after work. Sit-at-home-moms (SAHM) may pump milk several times a day.
4. Is there any side effect of a breast pump?
Generally, there is nothing to worry about in the use of breast pumps because very few moms have negative side effects from the use of breast pumps.
If all the correct instructions of using your breast pump are strictly followed, and the pump is in great working condition, there is nothing to fear. If the pump is improperly sized for your nipples, this may cause slight discomfort.
This is because either they are not good or they are not the right fit for your breasts. With so many breast pumps on the market, you may likely run across a few that do not meet the standards and expectations of most moms.
Luckily, you do not have to worry too much about them. There are many that have a lot of trust behind them, even being used in hospitals. You can choose one of these brands and know that nothing will go wrong.
5. How long does a breast pump last?
The longevity of a breast pump depends on a few factors, such as its suction and pumping mechanism, the number of times it is used per day as well as the maintenance culture of the owner.
Hospital-grade pumps are supposedly meant to be used for several milk expression sessions per day, and so naturally, they are meant to last longer than other regular breast pumps.
Some breast pumps get weakened as they are constantly being used. Any breast pump purchased in good working conditions will naturally work and serve you for long, except your maintenance culture is quite poor.
Their damaged kits and accessories can easily be replaced and be sure that the warranty of your gadget is valid and intact.
6. Is it OK to just pump and not breastfeed?
Pumping your breast milk and feeding it to your baby in a bottle is perfectly Normal. Pumping is a perfect way to offer breast milk to your child without bringing her to the breast.
You can pump exclusively, or offer your child exclusive breast milk and infant formula. Although breastfeeding creates a special kind of bonding between you and your baby, pumping the milk and feeding your baby from bottles will still serve the same purpose as natural breastfeeding.
It is advised that you take the necessary precautions in making sure that milk expressed is not contaminated before feeding your baby. You wouldn’t want to get your baby poisoned from breast milk.
7. Can pumping cause cancer?
statistically, one in eight women will develop breast cancer. And many women find that while they are pumping, they are more aware than ever of their breast health, including how they can reduce the risk of breast cancer and what warning signs to watch for.
Breast pumping has proven to provide moms with the awareness of an anomaly in their breast, and such moms can quickly take an early test, precautions, and possible treatment if they eventually test positive for cancer.
Some breast pumps help the moms to massage their breast to stimulate maximum milk expression, thereby improving the health of the breast. Breast pumping has as part of its health benefits to the body.
8. Do you still lose weight if you pump breast milk?
Breast pumping and direct breastfeeding have been discovered to technically mean the same thing. The goal is to get enough milk out of the breast for your baby’s consumption.
The more the milk let down per time, the more the weight loss because the entire nutritional need of your baby solely depends on the quality of food you eat.
You may lose some of the weight gained during pregnancy when pumping exclusively. Mothers who pump will burn up to 500 additional calories per day. But keep in mind, you will need to eat often to replenish calories lost and keep up your energy levels for the sake of your baby.
9. Does pumping burn as many calories as breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding and pumping are great ways to shed calories, all the while giving your baby the nutrition and health benefits that come from your breast milk.
The world of fitness, health, and weight-loss can be really daunting as a new mom, but breastfeeding is a great starting point for your weight-loss.
Diet for breastfeeding moms should contain a lot of calories because the energy expended while breastfeeding your child is quite enormous.
Breast milk is made up of natural immunity-boosters and vitamins that are essential for your baby’s growth and development. These are not needed by your body but are usually produced just for your baby. Hence, your body is doing extra duty to meet up with your baby’s demand.
Breast Pump Safety
It’s essential to ensure that the parts the pumps that will come into contact with the milk, or with your baby are free of BPA. BPA is a composite sometimes used in the production of plastics and are likely harmful to your baby. Most pumps on the market are free of BPA, but it’s always important to check.
Another concern to bear in mind is whether the breast pump uses an open system or a closed system
A closed system pump means that the motor is entirely blocked off from the parts of the pump that come into contact with the milk, such as the tubing, flange, and containers.
In an Open system pump, there may be a chance the milk may overflow or possibly come into contact with the motor where it’s impossible to clean and may create bacteria.
While a closed system is suitable for peace of mind, it isn’t a huge concern, as contamination is sporadic, especially when we are careful to ensure you don’t overflow the containers. Also, most of the top breast pumps that use an open system are created to prevent this.
The search for the best breast pump for working moms boils down to many factors, as shown above. This piece tried to choose the pumps that will fit into every working moms’ budget and the different ways working moms think.
Some are office-based, for example, and have their own offices with convenient access to sockets to plug in their breast pumps and privacy luxuries.
Other moms won’t be so lucky and work in an open-plan office; in such case, it is advisable to go for any wearable breast pump so you can pump discreetly and work freely without too much question from a colleague.
The Elvie wearable electric breast pumps with a dual pump (but able to work as a single pump if needed) should best suit all working moms because of its convenience and flexibility. All in all, the choice is solely in your hands.