Here is a review and guide for the best breast pump for a new mom.
Hey, welcome to motherhood, I understand the stress your body has gone through mentally and physically, but you are amazing the way you’re.
Now it’s time to care for the precious little being that’s about to mean the world to you. And the only thing your baby needs is your attention that comes with proper nursing.
While nursing, to me personally, goes beyond breastfeeding but comprises everything you do to care for the baby’s wellness.
You may choose to breastfeed, which is natural, or breast pump milk to ensure adequate milk supply for your baby when you are not available.
A breast pump allows you to pump breast milk and preserving then for later use. So you can become more flexible with your daily life instead of being tied to the duties of breastfeeding.
Exclusive pumping is a full-time work nobody is ready to talk about; in a nutshell, the truth is it you will go through a lot of stress during this time.
Your baby wanting to feed over the night, in public, or throwing up unusual signs you don’t understand, all these are what will make you into a mother.
What is the Best Breast Pump for New Mom
- Best Wearable Breast Pump: Willow Breast Pump
- Best Silent Breast Pump: Spectra Baby USA s1 plus
- Best Hospital Grade Breast Pump: Medela Sonata Smart Breast Pump
- Best Double Electric: Ameda Mya Breast Pump
- Best Budget Breast Pump: Lansinoh SmartPump Double Electric
- Best Manual Breast Pump: Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump
- Beast silicone breast pump: Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump
- Best single electric breast pump: Philips Avent Single Electric
- Best portable breast pump: Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump
Benefits of using a breast pump
A breast pump is a great option for moms who are facing difficulties breastfeeding their babies. To continue giving them breast milk without switching to a less nutritious formula than breast milk. Making use of a breast pump comes with some benefits for the mom; These benefits include
Relieves working or busy mom: baby sitters can be always bottle feed the baby when the mom is at work from the stacked breast pump milk. This allows mothers to handle other activities while the baby is bottled feed.
Control feeding time: this helps moms create a schedule to feed their babies to give more control over feeds’ timing. This will help make the feeding and pumping schedule more organized and free up time for the mom.
Medical condition: pumping milk and bottle feeding is of great benefit when your baby cannot breastfeed directly due to some medical conditions.
Increase milk supply: pumping and breastfeeding or pumping after breastfeeding can help you increase your milk supply. Also, stacking up milk helps to make milk readily available for your baby when they need it.
Donor milk: if you’re an overproducer, that is, you’re producing more than what your baby needs. You can choose to donate some of your pumped milk to a milk bank. This milk will be given to the motherless babies or use in supplementing moms with low supply.
Pumping Accessories You May Need
Bottles warmer: this is necessary to have when you are on-the-go or traveling; after preserving your breast milk, the bottle warmer helps you take it back to the body temperature that is consumable for your baby. A microwave may create a hot spot that can cause your burn in your baby’s mouth.
Extra pumping set: moving the pump and its parts around can be stressing or waiting for the pump parts to air dry before making use of it. To avoid all these troubles, you can get another pump set. when buying, you can buy for home and office or wherever you regularly pump
Nursing cover: if you are not using a wearable breast pump, you will probably need a nursing cover. These are scarves to cover your body when nursing or breast pumping, so you don’t have eyes all over you in public.
Lactation massage: this is mainly for those using a manual pump because a manual pump’s massage function is not that strong. The vibrating device helps to massage your breast to enhance fast milk expression. You can make use of it when pumping to make pumping more effective. It also helps to work out any clogged duct in the breast.
Breast milk cooler: milk cooler is essential if you will be pumping away from home. A breast milk cooler helps to preserve your pumped milk while you are away from home, keeping it cool till your baby needs it.
Storage bags: you need some breast milk storage bags to stack expressed milk in the freezer for later use. The lansinoh storage bag is compatible with most pump brands; you can either pump directly into it or transfer milk into the bag from a bottle.
Breast pads: if you are a mom with leaky boobs, you’re not alone. Leaky boobs are common with nursing mothers; to avoid having wet circles on your chest, you need a breast pad. To save yourself from the awkward look and avoid colleagues’ questions about leaky boobs, you need to get a breast pad. I recommend you get a washable breast pad to save yourself some bucks.
Clean wipes: this is necessary if you will be pumping while traveling; cleaning may be difficult due to changes in the environment or having uneasy access to water. The wipes are used to clean the breast pump in the absence of water to ensure pumping on the go.
Sterilizer bag: this is an easy way to sterilize your pump and pumping accessories before using it. To do this, you need to put your parts and water into the bag then put it into the microwave for two to three minutes. The bags are so durable they can be used up to 30 times.
Breast pump reviews for new moms
1. Best wearable breast pump: Willow Breast Pump
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
The willow pump is everything. What can I say about a pump that allows you to go about your daily life while you pump with no stress? This breast pump enables you to be more flexible about your daily routine while providing milk for your precious baby.
This pump is suitable for all occasions, and any reason you choose to pump is absolutely portable and encourages discreet pumping. With willow, you can now pump while you move around the neighborhood, go to the store, or continue with your chores.
This smart pump fits well into any nursing bra, with no connecting tubes dangling over your body, and you get to control and monitor the pump’s activities through your phone.
This pump is the only pump that allows you to pump in any position you’re in; you don’t have to lean forward or backward to experience its wonderful expression. Unlike other pumps, the pump is easy to use and with very few parts to clean, and also designed to keep your milk safe.
- Portable and compact –goes with you anywhere you do.
- Easy to use and clean – a few parts to clean and compatible with dishwasher
- Discreet pumping – allows you to pump with your clothes on, no tubes.
- Smart pumping – retain your previous pumping information for easy pumping.
- It allows you to monitor, track, and control your pumping activities through your phone.
- Strong suction that may cause pain
2. Best silent breast pump: spectra baby USA s1 plus
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
This is a silent hospital grade breast pump made for moms with easy and convenient settings to pump whenever. The inbuilt rechargeable battery allows you to pump when you’re away from home to ensure breast milk is available for your baby.
The hospital grade design makes it easy to clean with few parts coming in contact with the milk. The closed system is also there to ensure that your breast milk is contamination-free with a barrier system that ensures air doesn’t flow into the pumped milk.
With different settings to choose from, moms are faced with the opportunity of selecting the appropriate settings that soothe them most when pumping.
The pump helps massage your breast to stimulate the areola for adequate milk expression, also keeps the keep your last pumping settings, so you don’t have to go through that again. It comes with timer features to shut the pump down at a specified time with a pretty cool night light for easy use in the dark.
- You can use a rechargeable battery without electricity after it is charged; the battery does last for a couple of hours.
- Easy to clean – no hidden holes that could hold milk
- Lightweight – you can take it with you anywhere go without breaking your arm.
- Strong suction – effective and efficient as possible with adjustable speed that suits you
- Compatible with other pump parts
- Longer charging hours – it takes long hours for the pump to be fully charged.
- Not handy
3. Best hospital grade breast pump: Medela Sonata Smart Breast Pump
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
It looks bulky, don’t worry, it comes with a bag for easy mobility so you can get to take it with you for use anywhere. This pump is specifically designed for everyday use for moms willing to increase and maintain their milk supply.
While the pump is lying inside the bag because it is not a handy tool, you can monitor and track your pumping activities through the Mymedela app.
Designed for higher performance with two-phase suction technology to give you more milk in less time; The Newly incorporate personal fit flex breast shields that allow you to pump in any position to remove over 11% more milk per minute more advance than pumping with traditional breast shields; also Include es options to choose from two clinically tested pumping rhythms for personalized comfort.
The pump is rechargeable to give more flexibility so you can get to the pump on the go; it comes with 21mm and 24 mm flange sizes that shield and massage the breast for better suction.
- Power suction –suction is incredible with two-phase technology.
- Comfortable and gentle on the breast – it doesn’t hurt while using.
- Easy to use
- Comes with a bag so you can have it everywhere you go
- It only works with its designated parts.
4. Best double electric: Ameda Mya breast pump
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
Expressing milk with ease and comfort is what a first time wants, and Ameda, I am ready to provide that; Ameda mya is a handheld breast pump that helps moms become more versatile in their daily routine.
The pump comes with a Small tote to ensure that you have your pump and other pumpkin accessories not to miss any serious pumping when exclusively pumping.
The Ameda pump is portable and a complete closed system that helps prevent pumped milk from getting contaminated by keeping air out of the pump and preventing the flow of milk through the tubes to the motor.
Having firsthand information is everything; the pump package comes with instructions that illustrate and demonstrate how to make use of this pump, making it suitable for a first-time mommy.
With this pump, you get to personalize your pumping, so you can choose a more soothing setting for you and a two-phase adjustable suction mode that allows you.
- Portable and easy to use – fit into any handbag so you can take it anywhere
- Hospital-grade to keep your breast milk and contamination-free.
- Rechargeable – you get to use it anywhere you are
- Strong suction levels – efficient and effective
- Comes with a tote bag suitable for outdoor use
- Parts are compatible with other pumps.
- Quiet and handy
- Weak battery –some of the product battery doesn’t hold a charge.
5. Best budget breast pump: Lansinoh SmartPump Double Electric
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
This is a new pump from Lansinoh with lots of improved and amazing features to meet modern styles. The pump comes with everything you need to start pumping at home, in the office, or on the go.
The comes with a tote bag, storage bottle, ice pack, bottle teeth, and an app for controlling and monitoring the pump’s activities. It keeps track of previous pumping activities, so you don’t have to start all over whenever you want to pump, with the pump motor designed to be handy so you can move it around when you pump.
The tote bag contains a breast milk cooler to keep expressed milk cool on the go, making it an ideal travel pump, with storage bags to stack your milk so you don’t miss any pumping session.
The bottle teeth are there. So, they can choose to breast pump and bottle feed without transferring from one container to another. Also, you can always pump directly into a storage bag for proper safety and hygiene.
- Smart and portable – ready to travel the world with this amazing tool
- Closed system – for proper hygiene and to ensure your breast milk is contamination-free
- All parts are easy to clean and also dishwasher safe.
- Two-phase technology for better and stronger suction power
- Quiet with LCD
- Non-rechargeable batteries
6. Best manual breast pump: Lansinoh Manual Breast Pump
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
Manual breast pumps are portable and suitable for occasional use. This is recommended for full-time moms or nursing moms that are willing to maintain their milk supply.
The pump flange is a wide and comfortable fit that massages the areola to ensure proper breast milk stimulation, with a breast milk storage bottle that allows storing your milk for later use.
A NaturalWave Slow Flow Nipple allows you to bottle feed directly without transferring from one container to another after expression. Also, with a bottle holder, keep your pump bottle in place to avoid accidental kicks that may cause your milk to spill.
A two-phase expression technology to ascertain that the pump is effective and efficient when pumping with an ergonomic handle is smooth to reduced hand fatigue when used.
- Easy to use – manual pumps are generally easy to use
- Lightweight and portable –for well into any handbag
- Easy to clean – comes with few parts with no hidden holes that are difficult to reach.
- Comes in two flange sizes for better comfort
- You get to confront the sucking power, which is usually effective.
7. Beast silicone breast pump: Haakaa Silicone Breast Pump
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
There’s always a need to collect letdown when nursing, and silicone breast pumps are usually the best for this purpose,haakaa the are comfortable pain-free on the skin.
Haakaa silicone breast pump is easy to use and made with safe materials that are harmless to you and your baby with a flange that fits all nursing mothers.
You don’t have to about the size of your boobs; the pump is designed to fits all breast sizes and sensitive to your skin. A leakproof to seal the pump between and after use to prevent accidental milk spillage. The pump is made with the finesse material to make mothers sterilize this tool without damaging it.
Silicone breast pumps are usually silent, making them suitable for discreet pumping with nursing cover in public. The pump is also structured with a base that holds the pump in place.
- Portable and lightweight can be taken with you anywhere; it perfectly fits into your purse or handbag.
- Easy to clean and use – simple and sleek, making it easy to clean
- Resist temperature – can be sterilized without been damage.
- Suction power is good.
- The flange is for everyone – the size of the flange fits everyone.
- Cap lid to prevent dust and accidental spillage
- Doesn’t stick to the breast without support
8. Best single electric breast pump: Philips Avent Single Electric
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
Philip Avent is a unique design single breast pump that allows you to pump with comfort without leaving forward. With big buttons indicating clear functionality to make it easy to use.
The soft massage cushion is warm and comfortable against your skin to help stimulate the breast for proper milk flow and an anti back floor to make sure milk doesn’t run through the tube to the motor.
The pump design is sleek and simple, making it easy to clean with any bottle brush. The bottle teeth help you directly bottle feed after each expression; no need to transfer milk from one bottle to another.
The motor is compact and lightweight, making it easy to move with, with rechargeable batteries, so you can always pump on the go. Also, the motor is silent, and flanges are compatible with anyone.
It also comes with an instruction manual, which makes it suitable for a first-time mom.
- Compact and portable – the pump is
- Silent – with soft massage cushion
- Comfortable and easy to wash – no hidden whole to hold milk up
- Stronger suction with three different settings
- Short tube –the tube doesn’t make it convenient to move around while pumping
9. Best portable breast pump: Medela Freestyle Flex Breast Pump
Check Price & Ratings on Amazon
If you’re looking for a breast pump with maximum flexibility, freestyle flex is your best option for that. The pump is suitable for any more either you’re a new mom, planning to travel, or about to resume work.
The pump is handy and can fit into your pocket to have a discreet pumping experience with two-phase expression technology for better efficiency.
The breast pump is rechargeable and USB compatible, which makes it suitable for on the go pumping. The USB allows you to charge anywhere, with a power bank, laptop, or car adapter, or with the AC adapter.
Freestyle Flex also comes with medela PersonalFit Flex Breast Shields to increase breast milk flow and provide more comfort while pumping. Also, a closed system prevents milk from entering the tubes, giving you fewer parts to clean.
Included in the package is a tote bag to move the pump around with a cooler with cooling elements to preserve your breast pump while on the go; also, the bottle comes with a bottle stand to prevents accidental kicks that might cause milk spillage.
- Portable and compact – the pump fits into any handbag, purse, or pocket for on the go pumping
- Easy to use – the settings are simple and less complicated, making it suitable for new mom
- It comes with a tote bag to carry the pump and other pumping accessories for an easy on the go pumping experience.
- Multiple power sources and rechargeable allowing you to charge your breast pump anywhere you are with ease.
- Smart pump – will enable you to monitor, track, and control the pump through the app.
- Easy to clean and comfortable – the pump is a closed system making it easy to clean for mom.
- Bad battery life – battery does not last long.
Types of breast pump
Today we have numerous types of breast pump, but they fall under two major categories, which are
- Manual breast pump and
- Electric breast pump
Manual breast pump:
These are the breast pump that does not make use of electricity. These are usually operated by hand and are compact in size.
They are cheap compare to an electric pump and are made specifically for occasional pumping.
A manual breast pump is divided into two, which are a manual hand pump and a silicone breast pump.
Manual hand pumps: are used for pumping a breast while your baby is feeding on the other breast. They are usually single pumps with an ergonomic handle used to sap the milk out of the breast.
Silicone breast pump: these are pumps made to collect letdown while the baby is breastfeeding on the other breast. This is the simplest design of all breast pumps and is used as a pump if the need arises. The silicone breast pump comes with a silicone bottle, and flang is sometimes made together.
Electric breast pump:
these are automatic pumps that use electricity, rechargeable batteries, or external batteries for breast pumping of milk. No physical effort is required and is made for efficiency in increasing or maintaining milk supply.
They are also different types of an electric breast pump: the; wearable breast pump and bottle breast pump.
Wearable breast pumps: are usually tubeless and suitable for discreet pumping. They are made to fit into any nursing bra to ensure pumping is secret and enhance the mother’s flexibility. This pump’s unique design comes with portability, compactness, and a few parts that made it easy to maintain.
Bottle breast pump: these are pumps with tubes connecting the motor and bottle, not suitable for discreet pumping. These sets of pumps consist of hospital-grade and consumer breast pump. Hospital-grades are closed system pumps that ensure your breast milk is contamination-free and with strong suction power to ascertain pumping efficiency.
What type of breast pump is good for me
Choosing a breast pump out of the numerous types we have in the market can be daunting.
To choose the right pump, you need to put certain considerations in place to have an appropriate pump that suits your needs at the end of the day.
Purpose of use:
The main reason you need a breast pump should be stated; once you know this, you need answers to many questions.
- Question like;
Are you planning to increase your milk supply? If your milk is not well established and you’re looking forward to increasing and maintain your milk supply, a hospital-grade pump like medela symphony or spectra will be your go-to option.
Are you planning to be a full-time nursing mother or part-time? If you’re planning to be a full-time nursing mom, a manual breast pump will be your go-to option. If you’re planning to nurse part-time, you need an electric breast pump.
Do you only need a breast pump to relieve your engorgement? You can either go for a manual breast pump or some of the cheap electric breast pumps for this purpose.
Are you planning to resume work? For this purpose, you need an efficient breast pump and promote flexibility – wearable breast pumps are the best.
Your budget is another consideration to look at; you can either buy or rent. Manual breast pumps are usually cheap compare to electric breast pumps. While manual breast pump comes in handy and labor-intensive, electric breast pump are more efficient and pump more milk in the least time. If you choose to pump occasionally, renting will be a good option, but you will need to buy the pump you will use.
Do you want a closed system or an open system – this is common among electric breast pump since manual breast pumps are made with fewer parts and are usually easy to clean.
The closed systems are designed to ensure that milk does not flow from the pump through the tubes. Also, to prevent air within the pump, all this ensures your expressed milk contamination frees; the reserve is the case in an open system.
Easy of use and effectiveness:
To have a better pumping experience, you need a pump that’s portable, easy to assemble, and with no complex settings. And also should be very effective in expressing enough milk within a short period of time.
How durable a pump lies in the frequency of its use. Before you buy a pump, ensure it pumps that will suit your purpose, either occasional pumping or frequent pumping. This choice you make will help determine the life span of the pump.
Also, don’t ignore the warranty period that comes with the pump. This is very important in the case of a defective product.
What makes a right breast pump?
Efficiency: the purpose of buying a breast pump is to express milk as fast as possible so your baby can have to take it at the right time. The best breast pump for new moms should be able to this without any stress attached. Must be effective and efficient, thus saving moms the time of been tied to a pump.
Painless suction: pumping should be comfortable, and any pump that hurts your nipple should go into the bin. The process of pumping and using other pumping accessories should be easy and convenient. So do yourself the favor of getting the best for health’s sake.
Adjustable suction: the suction of a pump defines the strength of a pump; the higher the level, the stronger the suction. While some moms may prefer a lower frequency, some moms may be comfortable with a higher frequency.
Quiet Operation: how quiet your pump is an important consideration to choose your breast pump. No matter where you are, either in the office, at home, or on the go, the noise level from your pump needs to be as quiet as possible. There are many electric silent pumps, but manual pumps still take the lead for this purpose.
Replacement Parts: Whichever pump you choose, make sure its parts are readily available in the market or reasonable long time warranty. Some pump parts are available in your local store, making it easy to fit. You will not use the pump for life, but you will be surprised at how fast some parts can fail without any notice.
Easy to Maintain: pumps with small and simple and few parts are usually easy to clean. All hospital-grade and wearable breast pumps fall in these categories. They make a few parts available to clean and also prevent bacterial from growing with the pump. Pumps that are easy to clean helps to save mom the time spent on cleaning.
Easy & Quick Set-Up: some pump design is too complex with many parts to assemble; this can be a problem for anyone. So when choosing your breast pump, it makes it s pre-assemble or comes with very few pieces for you to assemble.
How to care for and clean a breast pump part
Maintaining good hygiene is good for your health and that of the baby. We understand that breast pumping can be a pain, but taking good care, your baby’s tools is important.
After using a breast pump, make you clean every part that comes in contact with the immediate. If you can’t, you refrigerate, keeping the remaining milk fresh until your next use.
- Wash your hands before using your pump, and use disinfectant wipes to clean the outside of your pump.
- After every use, take apart the pump parts and rinse them under running water. Don’t put them directly in the sink!
- Clean your pump parts as soon as possible with hot, soapy water in a washbasin and brush used only for cleaning pump parts or in the dishwasher.
- Rinse in freshwater (don’t put them back in the same basin).
- Air dry on a clean dish towel but don’t rub the parts with the towel to spread germs.
- Rinse your basin and brush, and leave them to air dry. Clean them as well, at least every few days.
- If you’re using the dishwasher, place on the hot water and heated drying cycle, or a sanitize cycle. Wash your hands before taking out the parts and allow them to air dry.
- Store items in a clean, protected area only after they’re dehydrated.
How to use a manual breast pump
All breast pumps come with an instruction manual; though they might be confusing, here is a summary of how to use a manual breast pump.
- Place the breast shield on your nipple. Your nipple should easily fit into the breast shield.
- Hold the breast shield in place with one hand and hold the handle with the other hand.
- Begin squeezing the handle; doing so will begin expressing milk into the container.
- Move around the pump handle until you find an appropriate suction level to help make the pumping easier.
- Continue pumping until the flow of the milk slows down. Depending on your breast production and the breast pump, it can take about 10-15 minutes per breast.
- Gently insert your finger between your breast and the shield to break the vacuum seal and remove the shield from your breast.
- Repeat with the other breast if and when required.
In choosing the best Breast pump for new moms, we have everything any new mom could need to make the right choice.
Breastfeeding is different when it comes to motherhood; however, you may not need a pump if you will be spending most of your time with your baby or you’re a full-time mom.